What is anger management?
Anger management is the process of learning to recognize the signs that you are becoming angry and to take positive action to deal with the emotions brought on by a situation. Anger management therapy and anger management groups focus on providing methods and tools for managing that anger and expressing it in an effective manner.
Anger is a natural part of life and a very important and healthy emotion when expressed appropriately. Anger is not only an emotion, but also a physical reaction: our blood pressure and heart rate rise along with the level of adrenaline in our body. Unfortunately, when expressed inappropriately, anger can impair our judgment and thinking, causing us to act irrationally or violently towards others.
Signs and symptoms of anger problems
There are many reasons a person may become angry and benefit from treatment or anger management groups. Common reasons people seek anger management treatment are:
- Trouble with the law or being ordered by the court to attend anger management therapy
- Difficulty expressing emotions to loved ones without getting in a fight
- Violent outbursts that physically harm objects, people or things around them
- Losing temper regularly
- Threatening violence against themselves or others, even if they do not follow through
- Feeling that their anger is out of control